What is product management?
What does a product manager do?
In this article, we will explore these questions and more. Let’s dive in.
What is Product Management?
Product management is the process of designing, developing, and bringing products to market. A product manager is responsible for all aspects of the product life cycle, from ideation and development through launch and post-launch analysis.
What Are Key Skills For a Product Manager?
Product managers often act as a bridge between the people creating the products and those responsible for bringing them to market.
Because of this, they must have a level of technical and business savvy that most other roles in the business don’t require.
With this in mind, here are key skills for being a successful product manager.
- Understanding the marketplace they are operating within — including the challenges their customers have and how they are currently solving them.
- The capability to understand and articulate how the company’s goals fit with the current market challenges, and how the products they build can solve them.
- The ability to translate the above into language go-to-market teams and technology teams can use to successfully perform their jobs.
Interview Questions For Hiring A Product Manager
When you’re interviewing a potential product manager, it’s important to ask questions that will give you insights into their skills and experience.
Here are a few of our favorite questions to ask.
- How did you spend an average day as a product manager in your last role?
- What has been the most difficult aspect of past product management roles?
- How do you prioritize both your efforts and those of teams building the products you manage?
- What has been the most challenging decision you’ve had to make?
- Share a time you had to collaborate and negotiate with a challenging stakeholder?
- Tell me about the process you use to take a product from ideation through release?
- Once a product has been released, what role have you had with it?
- Have you ever developed a product roadmap? How have you approached it?
- Who do you consider as the primary stakeholders?
- Describe a time when the product was released and flopped. What did you do?
What questions do you ask when interviewing product managers?
What else would you like to learn about this vital role?